I've worked at a company where we had personals sites, like match.com or
something, a few million users. We spent a lot of time creating a user
content review system, meaning, anything that goes up has to be looked at by
the company filters (in our case, a handful of girls) before other users on
the site could see the content. In addition, there were "report this" links
in key places.

As far as reviewing images, I think it would have been successful to reverse
the process, allow images to go up but have a tool that surveys many images
at once and is able to yank them down with a single click. This way would
make it a lot less stressful for you, just make sure you mark what has and
has not been 'reviewed'.

Also, with users reporting images, flag the image after 1 report for you to
review, but yank it after 2 or 3.

If you wanted to go a lot further, you could rank your users' experience
level and allow some users to cast more weight to a vote, while new users
could only have 1 point to vote against an image, an experienced user could
cast 5 points (a simple algorithm could be the number of months since sign
up). At a certain number of points, the image is flagged for review, then at
another threshold, it is removed permanently.

Also, with text, there are likely words or phrases you may not want your
users to type, such as bad language or competitor's sites. You can put some
validation on the user's side for obvious things (like the F word), but be
leinient for cases like"assassin", "shitzu puppies" or "pussycat" (sorry for
the near-swearing cf-talk!) Then, on the admin side, you could aggregate a
lot of user's data in a tool and highlight questionable phrases, maybe with
different colors to note the severity of a potential issue. This is a
perfect use case for regular expressions and backreferencing.

nathan strutz
[Blog and Family @ http://www.dopefly.com/]
[AZCFUG Manager @ http://www.azcfug.org/]