Hi

we have a relational database and one task is taking far too long but we cannot
see any way to improve it, although i do feel there is a way to massively
improve it... so would like some expert help on this

we have a normal table which has a One-to-Many table coming off of it...

table 1 is client details (one to one table), and table 2 is client telephone
numbers (one to many table and has the clientid as a foreign key)

we need to process a query that contains all the client details that have the
telephone numbers put into one cell and separated by commas

for example, this is the output query that we need
client details | telephone numbers
----------------------------
mr client 1    | 123456789,234567891,213422222
mr client 2    | 583736245,828262u82

we have no idea if there is a way to ask SQL to combine the one to many
telephone numbers into one cell and seperate them by commas

for now we are getting all clients. then in a seperate query we are getting all
telephone numbers.

we then add a column to the clients query.

then we run an outer loop to loop through all clients, and an inner loop that
runs through all the telephone numbers, and appending the telephone number to
the client if the client ids in both queries match.

this seems a very long way around it but are not sure if there is a better way

we would appreciate any suggestions to improve this

thanks