Ok.. makes sense.

What happens if someone has a bookmark to a sub folder "users" that has its
application.cfm page with the same application name as the Root application.cfm
file.

Does the root application.cfm fire at all?

Like if I have session.foo or application.foo defined in the Root
application.cfm.

Will those variable be set when a user hits the "users" folder application.cfm?