> Just asking how other folks would go about this, in general...
>
> Getting ready to start on a new site. To get everything to work like the
> client wants, almost every single site URL is going to have to go
> through a IIS rewrite rule so everything looks like:
>
> www.mysite.com/contact
> www.mysite.com/about-my-company
> www.mysite.com/something/red
> www.mysite.com/something/blue
> www.mysite.com/newsletters/11/23/2008/some-important-newsletter
>
> They never want to see a file extension.
>
> For me, it gets pretty difficult trying to figure out what's running
> what once the rewrite rules go into place since it's a fairly large site.
>
> Would most of you develop the site without the rules first, then apply
> the rules to get everything like the client wishes, or just go ahead and
> work with the rules from day one?

I would probably develop the rules right away, just because I'd need
to match the spec and to discuss spec items, other users (who wouldn't
know the underlying URLs) would need to see the "right" URLs. But I
don't think it would matter that much either way, except that if I
tacked them on at the end, I wouldn't know if they worked properly
without retesting everything.

> I've got the "stand alone" version of CF8 installed locally. I don't
> have IIS installed. That's one point in favour of developing without the
> rewrite rules and adding them afterwards. Looks like it would be a
> painful process to install IIS locally and then change my CF
> installation to run under that.

It shouldn't be painful, really. IIS is available as a system
component in any recent version of Windows, so you can install it very
easily. Then, you can easily hook CF up to it using the web server
configuration utility. If you're using Vista, there are a few (now
well-documented) specific steps you'll need to follow, but we're
talking about maybe half an hour or so, I think. You don't have to
disable the JRun web server or really change anything about your CF
installation.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/