>> coded like spaghetti with meatballs.

That is a good one.

>>>The discussion with my colleagues is that some want to refactor the whole
project in a framework. I think it's to much work, and you can better start
from scratch. My other colleagues disagrees.

I just got done doing something very similar. Not a 1000 items but is was
non trivial. And this is what I found.

I don't think it is all or nothing. You can probably harvest at least the
forms and display pages from the existing app (striping out all the stuff
that should be in your model) and then use a code generator like Illudium
PU-36 or the one that Dominic Watson just released to abstract your data
layer.

http://code.google.com/p/cfcgenerator/
http://fusion.dominicwatson.co.uk/2009/05/next-generator
-illudium-pu-36-based-app.html

Or use Transfer (with Transfer Config), Data Faucet or Reactor to do the
same. That will give you a jump start on the grunt work.

After that you will have your views (from the existing  site) , most of your
model (at least for CRUD functions) and then you can harvest/Refactor the
existing CFC's and plug them into your model. Then, as Nathan suggested:

--------------
If nothing else, get your entire model into well encapsulated CFCs and your
app into a generic MVC structure, then you can port it pretty freely to any
MVC compatible framework. Trust me, you will thank yourself repetedly every
time you need to update it, and programmers down the line will bless you
instead of curse you.
--------------

Once you get your model encapsulated into CFCs and have all your views it is
just a matter of plugging them into the controler/Framework of your choice.
Of course it is not as easy as I make it,  and as Ike suggested it can be a
lot of work, but there are plenty of ways to reduce the amount of work.

HTH
G!

--
Gerald Guido
http://www.myinternetisbroken.com

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
-- Thomas A. Edison