Thanks you Andy and Ben for your quick response.  A VIN number is a vehicle
identification number which is on your car's registration as well as being
on the driver side dash.

Think of it as a unique serial number for your car with vehicle information
baked into the number.

Andy the only problem that I had with your regex is that it let me enter
more than 17 characters.  I quickly added a maxlength which corrected the
problem.

There's a ISVIN function on CFLib and I had originally proposed to my boss
that I rewrite it in javascript but he didn't want that level of
functionality.

Rick