There is an amazing resource on google that teaches how to speed up
applications..
http://code.google.com/speed/articles/
read the one on  properly  including stylesheets and scripts.   I
never knew that the order that they appear can make a huge difference
in speed.. probably much more so with IE..  that might be your problem.

Also look at the pagespeed article- it will help you find the bottleneck