>>>a)      Just use random() to select the page assuming I'll end up with
even distribution (its 50/50 no?)Well.... Yes and no. If you get a large
enough sample, it will come close to 50/50. Keep in mind, every time you hit
it, each option has at that moment a 50 / 50 chance of coming up. It's close
enough if you don't need it to be a perfect distribution of 50 / 50. I would
recommend using RandRange(1, 2) for simplicity sake.

b)      Store the last viewed page in an application var, single thread it,
and toggle it on each visit to load the correct page and prepare it for the
next request. Will this be a bottleneck? It would be a pretty small piece of
code..

I would use this if you really have to have a perfect distribution of 50 /
50 OR if you have a non technical boss who insists on testing it and wants
to see the A/B split every time he reloads the page. It's more complex, but
may make you boss happier.

=]
--
Alan Rother
Adobe Certified Advanced ColdFusion MX 7 Developer