I use a similar process to Akismet,  but i connect all my sites to a
common "banIPs" table on my central database.  Any message or form
going from any of my sites is filtered through this table.  IF the
sender's ip address is on the list,  the message/form gets just
discarded into the bit-bucket and nothing is given back to the user.
(I dont want to be helping spammers by telling them i'm onto them).

If the form/message contains stuff that's in a whole bunch of keywords
i keep in another table,  or if the message/form fails a battery of
other tests (like for example if the name,address,email,subject fields
all contain the same content) then the user's ip address is added to
the banips table and the response is discarded.

This is my own version of what Akismet does.  I have about 40 sites
all sharing this same system and as time goes along, the list of
banned ips is growing, my tests are being refined and tuned, and my
spam email content is declining.  I dont expect it'll ever get to
zero, but it is a fraction of what it was when i started this system.
   I like my own system, because i can tinker with the tests and
optimise them for my own set of circumstances.    But i have more than
15,000 ips that cannot send anything to any of these 40 sites now.

Once,  the guestbook on my radio station site would get about 150 junk
week to 10-15 legit responses.

I strongly urge anyone who wants to deal with spammers/scammers to
consider CFFormprotect (which was the basis for my system - i looked
at that and adapted it to my own needs).  I think it's about the best
method of controlling junk coming into your site that doesnt require
CAPTCHA.  (I hate captcha).

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month