Thanks for the clarification, Charlie.  Something in the back of my mind
was hollering "CF7" at the end of that last post, which is what made me
post that last caveat.  Your point about the race conditions is the key,
definitely.  In most of my apps, the chance of a race condition within the
SESSION scope is nearly zero, but in an app that might set session vars in
an iFrame or with an Ajax call, there could clearly be a chance of a race
on read/write, and that's where a lock would be invaluable, no matter what
version of CF.