It's less a CF issue, and more about a traffic and simultaneous
reads/writes.  Make good use of WITH NOLOCK on database reads where you can.
It's not always a single record that is locking. Depending on how your
tables are indexed and a variety of other factors, a page (SQL page) could
be locked, or the whole table could be locked -- just for a read.

Also, the users shouldn't be seeing that error at all, right? (site-wide
error handler...)

Cheers,
Kris

This is less about getting a specific answer and more about just finding out