A listserver is more interactive as it gets the messages directly to
the participants rather than forcing them to go to a site for content.
A forums/message board has the advantage of search engine exposure
that can gather new members. A combo system (like we have here) does
both and should be the way to go.

Why not frames? SEO! Why give the value to someone else.