Brett,
It appears your doing some sort of search.

Have you looked into the cfindex and cfsearch tags? If this is what your
doing, I think you would find these tags useful instead of doing a straight
sql query. It also has bonus features like sorting by relevancy which sql
doesn't have.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=Tags_i_06.html-
cfIndex
http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/8/htmldocs/help.html?content=Tags_r-s_13.html-