Hmmmm..... So the call to HTTP works, but HTTPS does not.... URLs are
exactly the same....

I assume you have pinged around and made sure that the 4 servers resolve the
domain exactly the same right?  And you have tried a CF Restart? Sometimes
the DNS cache for the JVM will have the wrong address in it if you have been
making networking changes etc.

Remember also that each server needs to be examined from the console (from
RDP or whatever). You have to be able to troubleshoot by making outgoing
requests from the individual servers.

Still, I'm with dave. If it works via HTTP but not HTTPS it has to be the
certs somehow.

This post is about SSL 3.0

http://www.coldfusionmuse.com/index.cfm/2009/2/24/CF-SSL30-Authorize-net

But it also includes some info on how to test CF and the JVM and log the
results. It is probably worth it to try and trap the handshake conversation
and see what's up.

-Mark

Mark A. Kruger, CFG, MCSE
(402) 408-3733 ext 105