Actually 666 would give read-write permissions to everyone as well.
Here's the break down:

First number = owner rights
Second number = group rights
Third number = world rights

 From there, each number is determined from the following values:

Read = 4
Write = 2
Execute = 1

If I want to give ONLY the owner read/write permissions, and everyone
else just gets to read it, I would set it to the following:

4 (read) + 2 (write) = 6

Now that we know the numbers to use, we can assign those numbers to the
users we want to have those permissions

Owner: 6
Group: 4
World: 4

And now we know what to use with our chmod command:

# chmod 644 myfile.cfm

Make sense?

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,