Indeed, if you're dev environment is not a server, and you're working on a
desktop/laptop look at this for creating multiple sites in IIS:

http://www.gafvert.info/iis/article/multiple_websites_xp.htm

Then, create a seperate domain for each site in your hosts file, resolving
it to 127.0.0.1 i.e.

127.0.0.1 localhost.mysite1
127.0.0.1 localhost.mysite2

I don't recall exactly where the hosts file sits on windows, system32
somewhere I think...

Create each site in IIS with the corresponding host header
(localhost.mysite1, etc) and you are good to go with multiple sites with
local, root domains.

HTH

Dominic