Here's a thought on what might be going on (and if so, I'm open to suggestions).

Basically, if I'm writing to the "badFiles" location, I have almost
invariably broken out of a <cfloop file="whatever"> loop before
reaching the end of the file (using <cfbreak>).  Is it possible that
ColdFusion still has a lock on the file and, therefore, can't delete
it?  (I'm thinking this may be the case, because right now I can't
manually delete that file from the source folder, either).

Assuming that's the case, any ideas on how to get around it?  Because
this is a process we don't want to bog down unnecessarily, I'd rather
not read the whole file in (the old way of looping over a file) or
loop over the entire file if I don't have to.

Scott