What I do is similar..  IF I detect a sql injection, I also add the
ip address of the user to my banned IP list. I ban them for a week..
this way if they manage to find a page that isn't protected, they
can't do any damage.  I use a server variable to hold the list of
banned IP addresses, so I can share the list among the few websites I host.
  Then whenever anyone requests a page, I check if their ip is on the
banned list, if so, I just log it and display an error page saying
the website is down for maintenance and return soon.