Any good information on how to track down what is causing a ColdFusion
server to behave badly.

The symptoms we have to date:

1) Starting January 5th, our Windows 2003, ColdFusion Web Server will
suddenly jump from under 5% CPU usage to an average over 50% with
frequent spikes to 80%, 90% and over.

2) When this happens the JRun process for our main JRun process will be
running with over 600,000kb of memory.

3) Restarting this ColdFusion instances resets the server back to it's
normal 5% CPU usage.

4) When I point the Administrator monitor at the server nothing seems to
be obviously wrong

5) *EXCEPT*  The monitor will sometimes report an Application Scope of
nearly 821,000,000,000,000kb.  Yes, that is over 100 petabytes of data
according to Wolfram-Alpha.  I am pretty sure we do not have that much
memory on this server.

The weird thing is that there does not seem to be a correlation between
that impossible memory spike and the problem with the server.  I have
been able to see the spike twice since I have started monitoring things
yesterday.  Once this occurred during a problem period, once it did not.

Using the monitor and looking at the various log files, I can not find
any clear smoking gun, so I am looking for advice on how one my track
down an elusive problem like this.