I don't have the config file for my former install here, but I'll look
around for it. Basically, you need to first catch/exclude the patterns
you don't want to rewrite, like /images, /stylesheets, etc. and then
use your generic rewrite rule.  I've not used ReWrite Base before, so
I can't help you there, but fundamentally, declare your exceptions
first, match them to the directories they ought to hit, then have
everything else be caught by your generic rewrite pattern.

Hope that helps,
Judah