I am hoping to tap into the knowledge of any ColdFusion developers who
use SQL Server 2005.

I am creating a table to load a large amount of data from text files.
One column contains a date string and one column contains a time
string.  I am hoping to load these into string fields in the database so
that I can maintain the original data that is appears in the files.  But
I also plan to combine these two strings into a third column that will
store the information as a date time value.

My first idea is to use a trigger to populate this new column when data
is inserted.  What would be *ideal* but I'm not sure how to do this.  Is
to include a proper offset on the date time field.  The raw text data is
GMT but the most frequent comparison we need to make is to other
information that is Pacific standard time

So that is my main question, can anybody point me in the right direction
on what functions or features that I might use to incorporate a correct
offset to the date time data?  I'm hoping for something that would
understand the fluctuations in an offset from the effects of daylight
savings.

TIA
Ian