I also believe (though I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong) that
you can later safely switch from a varchar to an nvarchar. You'd be in
danger of truncating data if you went from nvarchar to varchar, but
since varchar is a subset of nvarchar, changing the data type at a
later date should be safe.

Judah