There's little point in making it Open Source.

It might be a nice gesture from Adobe, but it's hard enough finding CF
developers willing to do Java; finding a Delphi developer willing to support
HomeSite would be even worse!

For the people that like Homesite, there's nothing wrong with continuing to use
it, once you don't mind a lack of updates.
(This is assuming the updates are some form of proprietary/binary format; if
they are text-based then the CF9 stuff yourself!)

> I tried CFECLIPSE and I tried the beta version of
> Adobes CF developer thing.  Both are nice, both are
> a drain on system resources, slow, and bloated.

Yep, CFEclipse and CFBuilder *are* slow and bloated - because they use the
Eclipse platform, which is slow and bloated.

It *might* be possible to produce a minimalised/streamlined Eclipse base with
just the required stuff in - but there are so many other things that CFEclipse
needs first, and only a limited number of people able to spare a limited amount
of time to work on improving it.

The great thing is that if people want CFEclipse to be better, they can help to
make it better!

You do NOT need to know Java to help with CFEclipse - there's plenty of other
tasks that can be done, and doing those will mean that the Java developers can
concentrate on the Java tasks, and thus everything improves.

So, if there's things you don't like about CFEclipse (either bugs or feature
requests), raise them on the issue tracker - problems can't be fixed if they're
not known!

And, if you want to speed their resolution, pop on to the mailing list (
cfeclipse-us...@googlegroups.com ) and see if you can help out - either
directly working on them, or indirectly (by improving other areas), and
hopefully it wont be long before we've all got a great IDE!