We've done this on several sites by naming the images with the sku of the
product.  Since you'll always have the sku (product id) you can append .jpg
or .gif to the end and display it.  We even use thumbnails with links to
the larger image by having the different size images in different
directories.  Not very hard at all.  The only issue (of course) is storage
space for the images.

Judith Campbell
Chief Technical Officer
Digital Positions, Inc.