You know, I went back and looked for the CF8 comparison like you did
and it does, indeed, say the limit is 2 manually spawned threads.

Then I went and logged into my CF8 Standard server and under Request
Tuning it says the following:

Maximum number of threads available for CFTHREAD
The maximum number of threads created by CFTHREAD that will be run
concurrently. Threads created by CFTHREAD in excess of this are
queued. On Standard Edition, the maximum limit is 10.

So which is correct?