Yes. I manage SQL Server servers professionally as a consultant and
have upgraded numerous databases (and SSRS reports and DTS/SSIS
packages) over the years. The methods I suggested are correct and
recommended ways to upgrade SQL Server databases. Both methods are
reliable and testable. I also own commercial products that assist with
migrating database users, SQL Agent jobs, and other objects that are
not contained in the database data file being upgraded.

Another method, which is even easier, is to do an in-place upgrade
where you let the installer handle nearly everything. This method is
more risky because it is harder to reverse if something goes wrong and
it is harder to test in advance. It is a reasonable upgrade path to
take in many cases.

-Mike Chabot