That is why I asked, I have no problems managing branches and tags in SVN as
it is now. Being able to switch to a branch and work with it and merge back
to trunk when I am done.

I was thinking the same thing, as that was the implication I was thinking
that it handles all conflicts for you.

I haven't used GIT but I am reluctant too because I also use one of the
features that GIT hasn't implemented yet very regularly, which doesn't give
me much confidence in the product at the moment.