Interesting problem..
  perhaps create a separate table of search terms and results.
When someone starts typing, after maybe 5 characters, search this
table and if found, display those results.
IF it is not in the search table, do a real search, but only retrieve
the top 5 matches- order by popularity or if you don't track
popularity, by date or whatever... and then also insert that search
term and result into the search table.

If the site changes frequently, run an automated task every night to
refresh those search terms.  You can perhaps manually edit them also
if you want certain words to be suggested in the future