When I've had to deal with the same situation previously, I usually
created a "lookup" structure based on the column ill use as a handle -
mystruct[value I want to ref by]=row index from query (this struct
would get populated by looping over whole query) . This index then can
be used to get at that row... I do seem to remember however that
there's now a cfscript verion of cfquery (I don't remember if it
supports query of querys). If that doesn't work, you could write a
function that takes a colname, col value and query name, and perform a
qoq- assuming the function will have access to the original query...

Hope that helps!