>> You are right though, I am most likely headed to a solution that involves
>> watermarking the images permanently.

If the images are never going to be used on the site without a watermark
then you will save substantial processing time by doing so.  We have a
website that allows people to upload a picture which we mark, then they can
caption them aka lolcats.com style.  So a particular image could have many
different captions marked on it.

When I first designed it all watermarks were on the fly but after a few days
of testing I found I was bogging the server down with extensive processing
even though as you say there was a satisfaction of the magic behind it.  Now
instead we mark the images once and save copies and reference them.  It
takes up more space but hard drive space was a lot cheaper than more
processing power.

You can see it here: http://www.lameorgame.com

Dennis Powers
UXB Internet - A Website Design & Hosting Company
P.O. Box 6028
Wolcott, CT 06716
203-879-2844
http://www.uxbinternet.com