> I have a query which returns the result set like below. The column names are
> like 1990, 1991, 1992 and there are certain amount
> for each year
>
> 1990 1991 1992
> 1000 5000 6000
> 2000 2000 3000

This doesn't address your question directly, but again this is a very
poor database design. I strongly recommend that you learn how to
design a normalized database schema. If you design your schema well,
you won't run into the problems you're describing.

Of course, if you're not responsible for the database design, or if
you're building a query that presents a denormalized recordset from a
normalized schema, feel free to disregard this.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.