It raises the question of whether there exists a set of instructions
to follow that will achieve the goal of completely masking the fact
that you are running ColdFusion, even from fingerprinting scan tools.
I have never seen any whitepapers on this and would assume that none
exist. Some major Web sites obscure what application server they are
using for security reasons.

I generally don't mess with the file extensions because it can make
development more difficult. The lack of a .cfm extension on a file
would potentially confuse the IDE as well as other developers who have
to work on the code after you. It could make it harder to use
frameworks and downloaded code samples  (ex: varScoper). It makes the
code less reusable. Some third party management and security products
that expect a .cfm extension might not work properly. None of these
are major drawbacks, but they could be annoying to the developers
having to work on the site.

If you are able to successfully hide which application server you are
running then your site should be more secure. Imagine if a major
vulnerability were discovered with a feature of ColdFusion, such as
with the FCKEditor. A hacker might create a simple automated hack
script using Google search results as a list of target sites. If your
site doesn't come up in any search engine when searching for
"index.cfm," then you are better protected from that type of random
automated attack.

-Mike Chabot
http://www.linkedin.com/in/chabot