Thanks all of you for your suggestions.  I'm actually camping and off-roading
this weekend, but here I am by the campfire, iPad lovingly nestled on my lap,
because I appreciate everyones' responses, haha.

Unfortunately this environment isn't easily open to switching around to a
reverse proxy although it's something to bring up.  The setup was working with
CF 7 and it probably took me 15 hours to set up their staging servers as I spun
my wheels for a while unsuccessfully trying to run wsconfig and having other
issues.  When I finally cracked that problem I thought production would go
better.

I worked on it from 20:00-05:00 the other night, including the time to roll
back to the previous config, which fortunately still worked,

Staging and production are of course supposed to be identical but in this case
apparently they aren't.

Thanks Dave for explaining that the wildcard filter will intercept all
requests.  I thought that extensions set up as MIME types in IIS were handled
natively and not passed through.

Well, the change was aborted, and now meetings must commence to decide what to
do about it.  There was another CF instance that had to be upgraded due to an
incompatibility introduced by a vendor and at least that one went without a
hitch.

Andrew.