From: Sean Corfield [mailto:seancorfi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:16 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: Re: Best conference?

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:32 AM, DURETTE, STEVEN J (ATTASIAIT)
<sd1...@att.com> wrote:
> So... Did anyone else get the email stating that this year would be the
> LAST CFUnited conference?

Yup, and the blog posts and the flood of tweets :)

Michael (Smith, TeraTech) explained that the reason is financial. They
lost a lot of money last year and can't afford to do it any more. Big
conferences cost a LOT of money to put on and it's almost impossible
to break even let alone make money on them. Most big conferences are
run by corporations as loss-leaders for marketing purposes. The pure
developer conferences need lots of sponsorship dollars and the
recession's made that difficult - and the recession has meant fewer
attendees as well which means less revenue for the conference (and
they have to commit to a venue well in advance so it's not like they
can suddenly say "Oh, we have half as many attendees this year, let's
find a smaller, cheaper venue!").
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/