Some ideas to explore:
cfhttp with an immediate timeout
cfthread
CF Event Gateways

Writing 500 rows to a database table should only take a few
milliseconds, which would be unnoticeable relative to the amount of
time you say the page takes to load. If the database is slow for some
reason, perhaps create a light-weight database table optimized for
fast inserts.

Trying to spawn another thread for database inserts might not be worth
it unless the database inserts are noticeably slow.

To optimize calls to external systems, explore the cfthread tag,
assuming you are using the Enterprise edition of CF.

-Mike Chabot