If you are editing text directly in the database instead of on a Web
form, then I agree that you might be better off storing the line
breaks as <br> characters so you can see them. This assumes that the
text is primarily used for display as HTML.

In general I like storing the original text. If the text doesn't get
updated frequently and the HTML is displayed a lot, I store a second
copy converted to HTML at the time of editing. When editing, the
original text is used. When displaying in HTML, the HTML version is
used. That said, if you are maintaining the text directly in the
database, which is the assumption I am making, then storing two copies
of the same content isn't a good idea because you would have to
manually maintain both copies.

-Mike Chabot