>> DP_ParseBBML) has this flaw, I just tested it.

I looked at all the open source CF based forums I could find and they all
had the same flaw. Many used the DP_ParseBBML module or some variation on
it.

>> Basically, I think if you prevent conversion of images with quotes,
>> this  goes away.

That was my thinking as well. Or more precisely what I knew would stop the
existing attack.  What I did was modify the [IMG] conversion routine to
disallow both standard and single quotes either base or encoded.  I also
disallowed semi-colon ";" because that can be used to chain script commands.
But I am sure this is not a proper sanitization of the input.

src = replaceNoCase(src, "#chr(34)#", "", "ALL");
src = replaceNoCase(src, "#chr(39)#", "", "ALL");
src = replaceNoCase(src, "%22", "", "ALL");
src = replaceNoCase(src, ";", "", "ALL");
src = replaceNoCase(src, "%3B", "", "ALL");

I still feel this is a stop-gap or just a response based approach and does
not fully sanitize the input.  I was hoping someone had existing code that
did, because as I said it was a freebie.  There is nothing like the panic of
13-16 year olds who get to see gay porn because a redirect was imbedded in
the [IMG} tag of their favorite video game web forum.

If anyone has better ideas to prevent this type of abuse please share them.
Teenagers intent on doing mischief can be very clever and I am starting to
slow down a bit.

Dennis Powers
UXB Internet - A Website Design & Hosting Company
P.O. Box 6028
Wolcott, CT 06716
203-879-2844
http://www.uxbinternet.com