From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2000 3:30 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: ThisTag.GeneratedContent

> This seems like a really dumb question, but I can't seem to
> find a definitive answer anywhere...
>
> Is there an equivalent to a custom tag's "ThisTag.GeneratedContent"
> variable for the base executing page? I know CF buffers all
> HTML output until the end of the page execution, and part of
> this buffer is made available to custom tags through
> ThisTag.GenerateContent. I need that same functionality
> in the base template so that I can access the generated
> HTML in OnRequestEnd.cfm completely independently of any
> custom tags.
>
> Anybody have any ideas?  I'll probably kick myself when I
> see the answer...

No, it's not a dumb question, and you probably won't kick yourself.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to retrieve this generated
content from within the scope of the request itself. This is quite sad,
because you know that it's there, of course, and you can even see it when
you use Studio's interactive debugger, so it's exposed in some way. It's
just not exposed in any way that you, as a CF programmer, can make use of
it.

It would be nice to have this, though, if for no other reason than that
CFCACHE could be done without an HTTP request.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444