The most dynamical thing I've found so far is using JasperServer.

It doesn't quite let you create free-form reports, but it has a lot of
stuff you can use that lets the end user configure a report, and can
produce reports in like 15 different formats.

It is awesome.

Eventually I'll get around to writing an HTML-based WYSIWYG
JasperReport editor, for use with the cfjasperreport tag, which *will*
be a free-form type of deal.  The XML used for JasperReports is pretty
easy to write, if you need free-form, you could whip up an editor and
use the cfjasperreport custom tag.

Another solution is to leverage iReport for the actual report design,
with the JasperServer plugin.

iReport is awesomeness too.

:Den

--
Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and
ages it is the rule.