Remove the # signs. You are telling cf to pass dateOfTotal to the server
as a variable value.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Faircloth [mailto:r...@whitestonemedia.com]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 4:21 PM
To: cf-talk
Subject: RE: I think I'm just making this way too hard...

Well, I switched the DB and CF functions around in the statement,
changed the CF function in the first half of the comparison
to a DB (MySQL 5) function, and changed the column name throwing
the error to "dateOfTotal" to be certain using "datetime" as a column
name was not the problem.

But I still get an error, and I can't figure out why. I even renamed
the table, in case using a number at the start of the table name
was problematic.

select     totalNew
from       a_dailyNumberNewHMLSProperties
where      date_add(now(), -1 days) = '#dateAdd('d', -1, dateOfTotal)#'

Variable "dateOfTotal" is undefined.
How can that column name be undefined?  Why is it not being
understood in the SQL?

Aaaaahhhh!

???