I don't know off the top of my head how to scroll select lists, but I would
say having a select list that big is a bad idea. It will be horrible to use,
who wants to scroll through 1000 options, plus this adds unnecessary size
and load time to your page.
What would be better is to have just selected options as checkboxes or
select list and a button to add new options, which can then use ajax or a
popup window and then have a filter of some kind to allow the user to find
the options they want without having to search through 1000 entries.

Russ