You could add to the page your own _CF_hasValue function and let the new one
handle any non out of the box needs.  There is even an example of this done
in a old comment on Ben Forta's blog.  The example is for a single select,
so if I understand the OP's original email then I think it would work for
this need.  Here is a direct link to the comment that was made:

http://forta.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=A61BB31F-3048-80A9-EFC01CEF006F9775#cC53F7D0A-3048-80A9-EF775D5DC62C6FA7

<http://forta.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=A61BB31F-3048-80A9-EFC01CEF006F9775#cC53F7D0A-3048-80A9-EF775D5DC62C6FA7>
Aaron