On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Paul Hastings wrote:

> On 12/23/2010 1:12 PM, denstar wrote:
>> You deal with it a lot.  I dabble, and went to a nifty presentation on
>> Joda, so... works for me.  =)
>
> but joda has no functionality for using locales nor for figuring out week
> start
> days, etc based on locales. can't see how it would work for anybody in this
> case.

You can plop the locale stuff in there as your own Chronology, to say,
have a week start on Sunday instead of Monday, neh?  Or maybe just do
a minus-1 somewhere?

It goes by the ISO deal, I guess, "natively".  Which I think was part
of the purpose of it...

The nifty bits, as I recall from the presentation, had more to do with
doing math on/with dates, and the use of static, which avoids a bunch
of messy stuff you can get into with the "normal" stuff like Calendar.

I don't really remember all the details offhand, but it was a good
presentation, and pointed out how odd things can get when you're not
using staticly typed Calendar-thingies and whatnot.

Mostly because it's easy to forget how programming can work sometimes.
 Like that presentation those two guys give were you look at a
problem, and you're like, "that looks like it would produce X!", and
they're like "Gotcha!  It produces Z!".  =)

Like I said, I just dabble, so it's more of a theoretical deal for me.
 You work with it a lot, so I'd go by your suggestion.  It was a nifty
presentation though.  Thought I'd mention it.  =)

:Den

--
Vain hopes are like certain dreams of those who wake.
Marcus Fabius Quintili