I saw Blue River (the Mura folks) tweet this today:

http://twitter.com/#!/brinteractive/statuses/25246946570534912

They reference the Washington Post article about the House migrating
520 websites from "a mix of proprietary and open-source content
management platforms" to Drupal.

The other day, I saw a job post on a CFUG list looking for a Java
architect with CF experience to lead a migration from ColdFusion to
Java for a federal agency in the Bay Area, California.

I don't want to start one of those interminable "CF is dying" threads
but I am curious as to how many people had seen these stories and what
they thought in the context of the US government following many other
world governments in a push for FOSS (Free Open Source Software)
solutions? I'm also curious about how Drupal and, say, Mura or FarCry
compare since I'm not familiar enough with all of them to make such a
comparison.

The government has always been a pretty strong area for ColdFusion
(does someone here know how long ColdFusion has been so deeply
embedded in government? I get the impression it long predates my
exposure to ColdFusion - 2001). At CFUnited in 2009, a government IT
guy approached me and told me his department had been mandated to move
to FOSS and he was researching a proposal to cross-train his team in
PHP and rewrite all their CFML applications. How many folks here work
within the government and can comment on this sort of thing?
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/

-- Margaret Atwood