Here's another viewpoint to throw into the pile.

Just because MORE businesses aren't using ColdFusion, doesn't mean that
businesses aren't using MORE ColdFusion.  The product can continue to
grow without adding new customers.

At my last job, when I started working there we had 4 CF developers and
3 CF 7 production servers. A little over a year later we had the same 4
CF developers, but 15 CF 8 production servers.  Adobe got to sell 12
more CF8 licenses, plus the 3 original upgrades, and there was not 1 new
developer or new customer added to their list.   They got to see roughly
5x the revenue from one customer, with no marketing or promotional
expense (to us) on their end.

Not a bad deal for Adobe, eh?  I wish my customers would do that.  :)

Thanks,

Eric Cobb
ECAR Technologies, LLC
http://www.ecartech.com