It depends on the makeup of the HTML you are trying to convert and which
version of CF you are using. The cfdocument tag is one that has seen good
improvements in each release of CF, so you are going to have an easier time
using it if you are using CF9. cfdocument doesn't support the same level of
HTML and CSS that a Web browser supports and it is one of the most
frustrating tags to deal with. If you have control over the HTML/CSS, you
might want to simplify it to get a page that looks good in the browser, and
also looks good when converted to PDF. This might involve techniques like
using tables to precisely control the layout instead of CSS positioning.
Third party commercial programs do a better job at turning HTML into
PDFs. ActivePDF is a popular third party tool that works well.

-Mike Chabot