On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Ian Skinner <h...@ilsweb.com> wrote:
> Some internet searching is giving me hints about projects like Mono and
> DotGNU.  Are these (or something else) viable ways to run an .NET web
> application on a Unix box?

Yup, Mono and XSP will let you run C# .NET / ASP.NET applications on
non-Windows machines. It's been several years since I was involved
with the Mono / XSP project but I was one of the many folks helping to
get .NET web applications running on Mono / XSP on the Mac so it is
certainly possible to develop and deploy such apps.

> Our organization has a contract to produce an external web application
> to bring one of our business processes on-line.  Just yesterday it was
> revealed that this project will be done in .NET.

I guess my questions would be:
1. Why is .NET mandated (when your external web servers are Unix)?
2. What are your objections to adding an external Windows server
specifically for this application?
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://getrailo.com/