SQL7 Full-text search handles this automagically.
That is, searches for O'Neill without any massaging
of O'Neill to O''Neill, and so forth.

Perhaps Verity does, too.  But Verity doesn't
allow standard SQL in the same breath as SQL7
full-text search does.  Perhaps the new Verity
K2 will add amazing new functionality.

best,  paul