I generally prefer to use JQuery over CF's built in stuff. I find it to be
more steamlined. Plus I think you can probably find more tuts for the JQuery
approach.

This tut has a nice approach and actually explains ajax a bit. Might be a
good start: http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/ajax-jquery
Ofcourse the JQuery website has great api docs.