I've inherited a site at a customer and the previous (several) people working
on this code did them no favors. For example, it's an e-commerce site and the
table that records sales keeps track of the user id and the amount paid but not
what product was bought or the form of payment. There actually IS a record of
what the user bought but it's stored in their user record which is overwritten
with each purchase so any history is lost. In addition, the site has
discount-codes (coupons) but those are stored with the user, not the
transaction so history is lost there too. In addition, I've noticed that
discount codes are re-usable and can be edited without saving history so if you
change the discount amount for future sales, running a historical report for
sales involving that discount code are now bogus.

I've been asked to fix this. I wonder if there is a standard pattern for the
schema here since it must have been done a million times by now. I have never
used an off-the-shelf shopping cart package either - I have always assumed that
those are more about maintaining sessions/carts and interacting with payment
gateways but it occurs to me that maybe they include the schema design I'm
thinking of that allows proper accounting audit trails, etc.

Any advice?